André Heughebaert’s resume
With 35+ years experience in Software Development (mostly Database, OpenData, GIS and web apps), I ‘ve seen a wide variety of technologies, programming languages and paradigm changes.
My current job is IT Software Engineer at Belgian Biodiversity Platform and Belgian GBIF Node manager.
Before that, I’ve been working in Banking systems(CIG-Intersys), Digital TV(Sony Electronics) and e-Learning platform(Université Libre de Bruxelles).
Last but certainly not least, I’m the proud father of four children and very recently grandfather.
- Civil Engineer in Electro-mechanics & Computer Sciences at the Polytechnic School of ULB, ULB 1983
- Master in Environmental Management at IGEAT, ULB 2006
- Head of IT team & Node Manager at Belgian Biodiverity Platform
- Nodes Committee Chair at Global Biodiversity Information Facility
- Member of the EOSC FAIR Working Group
- Taxonomical Backbone for Wallonia(BTW): database and webapp
- Belgian Data Portal
- Saproxylic Beetles
- Formicidae Atlas
- BiodivERsA CRIS
GBIF Capacity Enhancement projects
- 2015 Internalization of the ALA node portal
- 2016 Strengthening GBIF Philippines
- 2017 European Bireme: EU Nodes in biodiversity reporting mechanisms
Personal (and other funny) projects
- Terminology of the Imperium (2021), small markdown tribute to Frank Herbert’s Dune.
- Frictionless Darwin Core (2019), a tool converting Darwin Core Archive into Frictionless Data Package. This project is funded under Frictionless Data Tool Fund.
- JunIBIS.be (2015) as hobby, Cartography website of 1815 Napoleon Campaign of Belgium.
- CO2 voluntary compensation market (2006) Study in french.
- eLearning Authoring System at ULB, acquired by Control Data as Micro Authoring System, 1980
- OPTIMUS at CIG, middleware on Stratus VOS (UNIX dialect), 1986
- DIDO, Candidates evaluation platform at CSC, for the Belgian Recruitment Service, 1992
- WalkEngine, Code Generator at Sony Europe, 1996 see github
- Linux based, DVB compliant video streamer at Sony Europe, 2002
- Mother tongue: French
- Fluent: English
- Basic: Dutch, Spanish
- Data Publication: IPT, DarwinCore and BioCASe
- Relational Database: PostgreSQL, SQLite
- Data Cleaning: Open Refine, Frictionless Data
- Data Visualisation: Carto, Raw Graphs
- Programming: Python, Django,Pandas, Jupyter
- GIS: QGIS and Leaflet
- Presentation: Reveal.js
- Spreadsheet: LibreOffice
- Text Editor: Atom
- Version Control: Git
- Browser: Brave